Friday, July 31, 2009

Civil War Diary Quilt by Rosemary Youngs



Tomorrow is my monthly quilt class making the Civil War Diary Quilt. Rosemary chose 11 women living during the time of the Civil War and created blocks related to their diary entries. The women told about happenings in their homes and towns and events related to their family and the nation. The women are from the North and the South. There are spies, teenagers, a Shaker, a nurse with the US Colored Infantry, and a 3 year old.


Our group is meeting at Sunflower Quilts in Houston near Loop 610 North. Jill Rimes, shop owner, prepares the patterns and gives sewing tips. I present a short lesson on the woman of the month and give more details about the war.

Each person is making her quilt in the colors and fabric that are her favorites. Instead of using Civil War reproduction fabrics, I decided to make mine in all kinds of red, white, and blue fabric. As one of the teachers I don't have much time to sew in class, so I'm really behind in my blocks. Here are a few of them: Harassment, Alarming Conditions, and Thousands of Diamonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment