Friday, November 26, 2010

What I've Been Doing ----

Trying to survive at work! Have you heard about the HoustonISD policy? If a teacher's students do not grow a year or more each year on the TAKS test, the teacher gets put on a growth plan. It doesn't matter that the students all passed the TAKS or that they got commended (high recognition). For a 3rd grade teacher (me) they base that growth on the difference between a nationally normed test (Stanford) and the state-created TAKS test. It doesn't matter that you can't compare those statistically. The district has created a formula (not to be understood by mere mortals) to base this increase.
     Needless to say, my GT students, for the last 2 years, have not made a year's growth. You know, 4th grade level (at beginning of 3rd) to 5th grade level by the end of 3rd. AND this is all based on an arbritary test on 1 day out of the year!
    All this makes it possible for the district to fire me if they don't make that growth this year!
    I could go on adding more and more information about what the district is making all teachers do, but I won't!

    Why or why did I choose "Gratitude" to focus on this. But I am grateful for all I have: a wonderful supportive husband, healthy and happy parents, a wonderful son, daughter-in-law and grandson. I have wonderful friends - near and virtual.
     Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment